Are you afraid of pirating WinZIP? Pirating WinRAR? Now, you don't have to worry about it. With 7ZIP, you can compress and uncompress file with most extension such as ZIP and RAR.
Cited from http://www.7-zip.org
- High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
- Supported formats:
- Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
- Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, MSI, WIM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS
- For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 69 languages
7-Zip works in Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista. There is a port of the command line version to Linux/Unix.
Not only being able to handle ZIP and RAR format that you are usually use, 7-ZIP are claimed to be the most biggest compression ratio (see official page), but it really depends on the file you are used to test.
One disadvantage of 7-ZIP is, 7-ZIP compression is pretty slow if compared to ZIP, but you can take another advantage of using 7-ZIP :)
So, why are you still pirating WinZIP or WinRAR? Try the free 7-ZIP for you convenience.
If you like it, donate the 7-ZIP.org, Peace.